Carolina, Virginia gear up for game 126th in South’s longest-running rivalry
# 21/19 North Carolina (1-1, 0-1) v Virginia (2-0, 0-0)
Chapel Hill • Saturday, September 18, 2021 • 7:30 p.m. ET
Kenan Stadium (50,500) • ACC network
Carolina Football Media Center
Series vs. Virginia: NC leads 64-57-4
Back-to-back streak: Virginia has won the last four
Last meeting: 2020 (L, 41-44)
Last UNC victory: 2016 (F, 35-14)
Record: 1-1 (0-1 ACC)
The Head Coach: Mack Brown (Florida State, ’74)
Overall record: 260-133-1, 33rd year
UNC Record: 85-57-1, Grade 13
Result: 2-0 (0-0 ACC)
Head Coach: Bronco Mendenhall (Oregon State, 1988)
Overall record: 131-75, 17th year
Record in Virginia: 32-32, 6th grade
Kick-off: 7:30 p.m. ET
ACCN: Dave O’Brien, piece by piece; Tim Hasselbeck, analyst; Kelsey Riggs, on the sidelines
Tar Heel Sports Network: Jones Angell, game by game; Brian Simmons, Analyst; Lee Pace, on the sidelines
Satellite radio: Sirius (85), XM (85)
Website: A live radio broadcast from the Tar Heel Sports Network is available on the official UNC website, GoHeels.com, as well as through the TuneIn app.
THE OLDEST RIVALITY IN THE SOUTH
• UNC and Virginia will face off in the 126th edition of South’s Oldest Rivalry.
• Only Paul Bunyan’s annual Minnesota and Wisconsin Axis battle was played more often (129 times) among FBS rivalries. Miami (Ohio) and Cincinnati have met 125 times.
• UNC is 32-15-3 at home against Virginia. The Cavaliers have won the last two games at Kenan Stadium in 2017, 20-14 and in 2019, 38-31.
• The Tar Heels have lost four straight games to the Cavaliers, the longest such streak since losing four straight in 2006-09.
• Carolina’s last series victory was in Charlottesville in 2016. Mitch Trubisky threw three touchdown passes and the 22nd North Carolina won a 35-14 victory.
• Last year in Charlottesville on Halloween night, Virginia quarterback Brennan Armstrong scored three touchdowns and ran for another, and Virginia scored 28 straight points before hanging on to 15th North Carolina 44-41.
• Sam howell is 38 of 57 for 796 yards and eight passing TDs in two career games against the Cavaliers.
• Sam howell threw three touchdowns and rushed for two more scores as the North Carolina No.24 won 59-17 over Georgia State last Saturday night.
• Virginia defeated Illinois, 42-14, behind Brennan Armstrong for 556 yards. He was 27 of 36 for 405 yards and five touchdowns, with one interception.
BROWN VS. VIRGINIA
• Mack Brown is 3-9 against Virginia. All 12 meetings took place as head coach of the UNC.
CAROLINE IN THE SURVEYS
• Carolina is ranked No. 21 in the Associated Press poll this week. The Tar Heels sit 19th in the Amway Coaching Poll.
• Carolina visits Georgia Tech on Saturday September 25 in Atlanta. The game kicks off at 7:30 p.m. ET from Mercedes-Benz Stadium.